Dear Editor / Journalist / Reporter of Afternoon,
I am writing this mail, as you are the only link to Afternoon newspaper which is available to me. The mail is in reference to the report on Death of Mr. Rebunen who succumbed to injuries caused during the tragic incident of he and his friend were being stabbed by the goons on account of spat due to eve teasing. The incident is itself too gruesome to be discussed again, here
The report read more like giving clean chit to Mr. Ashok Jadhav of Congress and his attempts and efforts to help the grieved family. here is the detailed report.http://www.afternoondc.
However the family of kennan and friends of both Keenan and Rebunen have come out National Television and have refuted the claim of the report and of any help, In the report Mr. Kunal also mentions that family has clarified that Jadhav did help family, so did Kunal counter checked with the family on claims of Jadhav or Was Kunal motivated for typing favorable report on Jadhav in news of death of Rebunen
Has the journalism lost its last bit of ethics and morality that we journalist selling the news of death of brave hearts to some petty politician. This kind of attempt is worst then the paid news
While I am fully convinced of not receiving apology from Kunal or editorial desk of Afternoon, I am just hopeful the concerned people read it and also other journalist / editors read it and not attempt in future and there by insulting sensibilities of its readers.
At mid night I received a call from Afternoon Newspaper representative mentioning – Just a clarification, it was off the cut discussion and not official version of the Newspaper – Would not like misguide:
- 1. Newspaper has photographs of Jadhav along with the family members at Funeral, Also, Jadhav was seen consoling Rebunen’s friend
- The family didn’t wait for 24 hours to go media – shows family not sad about death but are media desperate
- Father did give this statement only that reporter didn’t carry the recorder as it was funeral
- Family didn’t complain to Afternoon newspaper after news was printed, but directly went to national media – shows seeking cheap publicity against news paper
- At funeral the sympathizers / consolers are not shooed away hence photographs of Jadhav with the family doesnt prove anything
- The Death of Keenan has happened 10 days ago and its Rebunen who succumbed yesterday. Also the family was not out to canvassing or advertising at the cost of their son’s death, But came on TV for seeking justice and informing public at large over the insensitive way of working of people of Mumbai
- While I may give discount that reporter might not have used recorder at funeral, But if I have to choose version between Kunal and Father I shall believe Father’s version, as reporter can be motivated, not the father whose young son is murdered – Rest it is for the reporter to prove his version
- Non existence of complain to Afternoon doesn’t mean the error / crime never happened. There would be no one to complain about defective parachutes, after it being used – that doesn’t mean all parachutes are with zero error
If the newspaper feels they are been victimised by the family who itself is victim of their son’s murder – then they should file a case against them, and stand by what they have said.